The Christmas Box House
- CBH and Group homes are 24 hr/365 Short-term emergency shelter for children/teens who have experienced abuse, neglect or abandonment. Once brought to our shelter campus all kids are in State’s custody. Each is waiting till their DCFS caseworker can find permanent living arrangements with kin or foster family.
- The Christmas Box House serves children newborn to 11 - Capacity is about 27-30
- Group homes serves teens ages 12- 18 – Capacity is 16 at each Group Home. And yes we have been at capacity many many times.
- Typically we serve more boys than we do girls.
- Stay is anywhere from a few of days to a few of months, average is about 2-3 weeks. Longer stays are typically larger sibling groups, or special placement accommodations/needs are being determined.
- All clothes, books, gifts and toys they receive while here at CBH or Groups Homes, are NEW and leave with them to their new homes. (so in an effort to honor the kids we serve, we ask for only new items. Some have never owned their own new anything before. This is theirs, goes into a nice duffel bag and on to their homes.)
- While they are here they also have an opportunity to get the resources that they need such as: Therapy visits (individual and group) dental & medical care .
- Opportunity to go to school (situation permitting, they can travel to their own school) or if it’s not safe, they attend class with award-winning resident K-6th & 7th-12th teachers.
- In-house activities, out-of-building adventures, activities, experiences and events!!